Why Did The SPAR Group LTD Embark on The Process?
As a group level, The SPAR Group Ltd embarked on this process in order to:
- decrease risk on the road
- maximise on costs saving on their fleet operations.
- create competent defensive drivers that uphold the SPAR brand.
- keep transport costs down to ensure product pricing remains competitive
The measurables that were put in place to ensure that the objectives could be achieved include:
- improving telemetry scores and to maintain driver scoring above or higher than set targets
- reducing fuel consumption by 2%
- improving driver on-road behaviour
- reducing repairs and maintenance costs
- decreasing road accidents
The project began in April 2012 when NOSA Logistics was appointed as the national training provider. NOSA Logistics placed on site driver trainers at the 6 SPAR distribution centres nationally. The project is still running successfully 6 years down the line.
The solutions that were implemented included practical on-road assessing, mentoring and coaching, and theoretical classroom training, as well as corrective action training, which was driven by using data produced from SPAR’s internal monitoring systems.
All the training is unit standard aligned and operationally based to ensure that each driver, over a period of time, achieves a nationally recognised qualification.
Specific training programmes have also been implemented at a distribution level as and when they have arisen, these include:
- forklift training anti-hijacking
- loader training fatigue management
- roll-trainer training
Overall Results Achieved?
Within the first two years of being on site, all set deliverables were met by NOSA Logistics. As at 30 October 2017, the on-going results at a group level were reflected as follows:
Through effective implementation of the driver project together with the commitment and support from the SPAR logistics and training teams, The SPAR Group continues to achieve its goals related to retail delivery and remains one of the trusted fleets on the road that ensures safer roads for all road users.
SPAR Voices on Project Implementation
Ntombizonke Mavuso- North Rand Outbound Logistics Manager
We believe that this programme has been instrumental in helping The SPAR Group to achieve its goals related to retail delivery.
Charles Davidson- Group Transport Manager
Pine Industrial Park 14-16 Pineside Road
New Germany, 3610T +27 31 705 3225
F +27 86 528 7706
Parow, 7500T +27 21 486 1000
Foton Truck Building 52 Electron Road
Isando, 1619T +27 11 027 9001
F +27 86 662 3735